Saturday 20 October 2012

Is Superluminal Travel Possible

Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light? I tend to believe it is not possible, partially because of problems with causality, but also the Fermi Paradox, which states if the universe is full of intelligent life, where is it? There are no signs of intelligent life out there, not yet at least, and if intelligent alien do exist and could travel at superluminal speeds then their chances of reaching us seems more likely. Again, the Fermi Paradox counters this.

Regardless of whether aliens with warp drives will turn up at Planet Earth anytime soon, a couple of interesting articles on superluminal travel came to my attention recently, pointed out to me from a peer at work who is into cosmology as much as I am, and I thought I'd share.

Warp drive looks more promising than ever in recent NASA studies

In Einstein's Math: Faster-Than-Light Travel?

No comments: