Tuesday 19 April 2011

Australian Shadows Winners

The Australian Shadows have been announced and the results can be found here. I was nominated for the Short Fiction category. I didn't win. But the next best news was that Macabre edited by Angela Challis and Marty Young won the Edited Publication category. I'm so excited about this one, not because I have a story in the book, but because I believe Angela Challis is the most talented editor opearting in the Australian small press, and this award is so deserved. I hope Macabre goes on to win the Ditmar and Aurealis, and I can't think of any anthology that is anywhere as good as this one this year.

I did get some comments from the judges on my stories for 2010. Craig Bezant said "David Conyers' "Dream Machine" was perhaps one of the best tales to start an anthology (Scenes from the Second Storey), but I thoroughly enjoyed his story with David Witteveen, "Sweet as Decay" [Macabre]". Kaaron Warren might not have spelt my name correctly, but she did say that "Conyer's cruel, unrelenting story [is] clever, disturbing, and new."

Congradulations to all the winners, and all the shortlisted nominees as well. Next year, there are even more categories to enter.

No comments: